The Senate of the Federal University of Technology, Yola at its 48th Special meeting approved the commencement of the Sandwich Programme in the School of Technology & Science Education. This was consequent upon the identified need for the programme in the university’s catchments area, and the pressure mounted on it by the Federal College of Education Yola (FCE Yola),which needed to transfer its displaced students of the University of Ilorin, Satellite Campus of Yola, to a nearby University, following the Federal Government’s pronouncement on the closure of Satellite Campuses. In actual fact, the programme was billed to commence with the students of the University of Ilorin Satellite Campus of the Federal College of Education Yola
Philosophy and objectives
The Sandwich Unit was set up in line with the vision and mission of the National Policy on Education to train highly skilled, professionally competent intellectually sound science and mathematics teachers for Nigerian Secondary Schools and Colleges. The process of producing these quality teachers is through:
- The development of learners’ talents in both contents of their teaching subjects and educational pedagogy.
- Enhancing the practicum of science and mathematics teaching by organizing a closely supervised teaching practice.
- Coping with the dynamics of the Unit through research work on contemporary issues in education and encouraging innovative ways of effective teaching and learning of science subjects.
- Collaborating with other relevant programmes in the university to produce balanced students who possess requisite knowledge, skills and desirable work attitudes
To qualify for admission one most possesses the following:
- NCE with distinction, credit or merit in the major subjects, or Diploma in Education with Distinction or Credit, plus a minimum of 5 credits in the SSCE/WASC/NECO/GCE O’ Level in relevant subjects or Grade II Teachers’ Certificate with a minimum of merit grade in at least 5 relevant subjects.
- GCE A’ Level or its equivalent in two relevant subjects, plus 5 credits in the relevant O’ Level subjects.
Duration of the Course
The duration of the course is Five (5) Contacts Years
TThe Sandwich Unit is managed by the Coordinator who coordinates its affairs, chairs its departmental board, and liaises with the Chairman, Sandwich Management Board and the University administration on behalf of the Unit. Members of staff (both academic and non academic) are assigned certain functions and responsibilities to execute for the smooth running of the Unit; and all members of staff are answerable to the coordinator.
For the award of B.Tech (Ed)/B Ed. (Hons.) a candidate must have passed all prescribed and registered courses. With a minimum/maximum of 20 / 24 units to be registered in any contact. A candidate is expected to have registered and passed at least/most 110 units / 155 units, with a CGPA of not less than 1.00. A written project and 15 major component of a student’s graduation requirements as well. Programme Sub-discipline/Discipline Structure to include period of formal studies in the Universities Industrial training, planned visit and projects.